SE, LEED AP, Principal
Chris Jonas, Principal and partner at ZFA Structural Engineers, has more than 18 years of engineering design experience. His area of focus is seismic evaluations and retrofits for historic buildings, and Chris provides earthquake engineering consultation to numerous public and private organizations and assists the Office of Emergency Services in the event of an earthquake.
Chris has worked extensively with municipalities on seismic evaluation and retrofit projects from the conceptual planning stage through construction administration.
Immediately following the 2014 Napa earthquake, Chris aided the OES in reviewing the extent of seismic damage of county and city buildings as well as local schools. Chris continues to support the Napa community in their recovery and rebuilding efforts.
A notable accomplishment for Chris was the retrofit of the old Napa Union High School built in 1930, which now houses the Napa Education Center & Performing Arts Theater. Through the use of state-of-the-art fiber wrap technology Chris was able to strengthened the theater’s tall concrete walls and his innovative approach was not only more economical than a conventional retrofit system but allowed for valuable seating to be saved. With his roots in the building industry, Chris brings in-depth knowledge of construction methods and materials and is able to apply them to complex remodel and retrofit projects.
Bachelor of Science in Structural Engineering, University of California, San Diego
- California SE 5246
- United States Green Building Council LEED AP (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Accredited Professional)
- Structural Engineers Association of California (SEAOC)
- PG&E Emergency Response
- State of California Department of Emergency Services Emergency Response
- US Green Building Council, Redwood Empire Chapter
- California Preservation Foundation
- Napa County Landmarks
- Napa Engineers Society
- St. Helena Carnegie Library, St. Helena, CA
- Napa County Health and Human Services Master Plan, Napa, CA
- Napa Valley Opera House Seismic Retrofit & Remodel, Napa, CA
- St. Helena High School – Vintage Hall, St. Helena, CA
- Napa Education Center and Theater, Napa, CA
- Yountville Town Hall Seismic Evaluation, Yountville, CA
- Lower Lake Schoolhouse Museum, Lower Lake, CA
- Salvador Elementary School Multi-Use Building, Napa, CA
- Bottega Restaurant, Remodel to Historic 1870 Building, Yountville, CA
- Sonoma County Architect Hazard Mitigation Studies, Sonoma County, CA
- Sonoma Mission Inn, Agua Caliente, CA
- Petaluma Library Expansion, Petaluma, CA